POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Re: INFO: API for POV-Ray : Re: INFO: API for POV-Ray Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:29:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: INFO: API for POV-Ray
From: povray org admin team
Date: 21 Apr 1999 07:26:12
Message: <371da67b.4361437@news.povray.org>
"Alessandro Coppo" <a.c### [at] iolit> wrote:

>A couple of months ago I put forward the idea to separate the rendering
>engine from the user interface and got a flat NO (actually it was almost a
>flame war!!!) from the POV-Ray team. I think the only way to use POV-Ray is
>like what TextureView does, i.e. shelling out POV-Ray, making
>it render a file and intecepting the image output. Not a great idea, but
>THEY (POV-Ray team) would not even accept the idea of dinamically linked
>modules... so I think this is the end.

We provide the GUIEXT system on Windows, which is a dynamically linked module.
This is the technique that TextureView uses. If that isn't good enough for you,
well, too bad. We've been burnt before by unscrupulous individuals who want to
steal our hard work. We're not suggesting that you're in that category but as
with anything, the actions of a small minority ruin things for the majority.

I find your attitude disheartening (in fact, somewhat rude). We have reasons
for our decision. While we don't expect you to agree (you're welcome to your
own opinion), we do expect you to respect that decision.