POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : YAPI (Yet another Plugin Idea) : Re: YAPI (Yet another Plugin Idea) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YAPI (Yet another Plugin Idea)
From: Ph Gibone
Date: 19 Apr 1999 14:11:37
Message: <371b63c9.0@news.povray.org>

>No, i do NOT mean Polyhedra. I mean the mathematical surfaces. you know...
>the poly keyword. (poly as in polynomial) - see the pov docs...

Well that's completely different (I didn't get the allusion to Steiner's
Surfaces) and that's far more difficult :

There are three parts in programming a Plugin :

1) Interface to input the needed values : very easy
2) The export to the pov file : extremely easy
3) The WireFrame : I don't see any means of doing that with general
polynomial implicit equation (I suppose that if I knew a way to do it I
would be famous among mathematicians).

The part 3 may be replaced by the representation of a bounding box (when
there is one !!!!) : easier but not piece of cake

Philippe

PS for parametrized equations, the part 3 would be extremely easy (it is the
way the dome generator works !)