POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just Curious : Re: Just Curious Server Time
4 Oct 2024 11:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just Curious
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 18 Apr 1999 18:29:27
Message: <371a4eb7.0@news.povray.org>
I agree to your point about cracking being inevitable.

    As for the other thig: not letting Intel rip you off _does not_ equal
ripping off Intel. You legally buy a few Celerons. You stick them into a
multi-processor MB. You add a few wires. All nice and legal. You could now
attach it to a industrial power supply and enjoy the fireworks. Stupid - but
stupidity is, unfortunately, legal.
    This is as legal as you proverbial FSB-frequency overclocking, supported
by most motherboards. People are overclocking their Celeron 300 to 450MHz,
getting (very nearly) the same performance as a PII-450, which is 10X more
expensive. Is it fair to say they rip off Intel? In my opinion, no.

    And to claim people who _use_ pirated software are the evil ones - I'd
say that's a bit too simple. When you just crack something, OK, fine. But
when you make it publicly available, you know quite well that people are
gonna use it and the authors are gonna get ripped off. Ergo, you are the
"evil one".
    Although it has been mentioned before, consider this: I will probably
never buy MAX. At least not in the near future. I'd hate to tell you how
many months' average salary it would cost in Estonia. So if I get a pirated
version, who's worse off for it? I am not a potential customer Kinetix would
lose in this deal.
    So I think the culprits are those who crack software _and_ make it
available. They are the ones legal users should be angry at.
    I could continue along the lines of the futility of flaming warez users.
But i have no wish to tread onto that thin ice.

    This concludes tonight's essay about the good and evil of mankind.

Margus