POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mr Tyler birthday picture (or "How he was created") : Re: Mr Tyler birthday picture (or "How he was created") Server Time
4 Oct 2024 09:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mr Tyler birthday picture (or "How he was created")
From: Ken
Date: 22 Apr 1999 01:09:51
Message: <371EA15C.7034F1DA@pacbell.net>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> Since many people have wondered several times who this Mr Tyler was, and
> asked whether he was real, or even whether he was a human being, here is
> a quick answer : Ken Tyler is made up of pov primitives : triangles,
> spheres, cylinders etc.
> This is how he was created.
>
> Happy birthday, Ken
>
> Gilles Tran

  Thank you for your thoughtfull and unsolicited gift. I had not
realized I had allowed my outer appearence to become so degraded
and have made a note to do something about that someday. One thing
missing that caught my eye immediatly was the lack of auxillary
life support equipment and supply tubing. I have to have several
dedicated machines hooked to me at all times to take care of the
lower system processes. This allows me to concentrate all of my
massive intellectual thought processes on more important and
demanding tasks. Raytracing et.al.

> -----
> Disclaimer : this is a work of imagination. People shouldn't assume that
> you are bald, or suffer from a case of badly smoothed triangles. Or that
> you are primitive.

 I have been called primitave names before and I am a big boy now so
my feeling won't be hurt if they do say it again. And for the record
my fully folliculated triangles are quite smooth enough - thank you very
much. >; ^)

> Technical : it turns out that I have a kentyler directory... I had
> worked briefly on an image inspired by a picture Ken had posted on
> January 20th, but never finished it (got bored and ran out of ideas). I
> dug it up, added several elements from previous pictures. No coding at
> all but occasional translates and rotates.  Poser and the Colefax/Warp
> mesh compressor and deformer helped a lot.

   A kentyler directory ?
   Gee wiz! Where is mine !
   Even Ken Tyler doesn't have a kentyler directory on his system.

   After searching through the directory and coming to that date I am
 still unsure which of the very rare newsgroup posting of mine you are
 referring to. I am still finding it unlikely that anything I post
 image wise here can be considered a source of inspiration to someone else.

  It does appear that I was on a streak during that time frame and here is
 a list of images related Posts I made within 6 days prior to that time:

  on 1-14 posted image titled "Feelin Blue"

  * Most likely candidate for the image you say you referenced due
    to the inclusion of a humanoind shaped face in the image

  on 1-16 posted image titled If You Can't Go to Heaven

  * Second most likely candidate for the image you say you referenced
    due also to the inclusion of a humanoind shaped face in the image

  * This last was mainly a follow up to the previous blue faced image.
    I was just showing off by this time.

   The following two were closer to the date referenced but are in my opinion
 short on artistic inspiration and long on sharing of technical advancements
 in the raytracing industry.

    on 1-16 requested help with candle problem
    on 1-18 posted image titled Media Stuff

    Regardless of the work in question I am honored that I have as least
  had some small impact in the artistic side of your life and for a change
  it was a good one at that.

  Thank you for the tribute Gilles.

--
Ken Tyler