POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : An Asteroid macro: first draft [74k] : Re: An Asteroid macro: first draft [74k] Server Time
4 Oct 2024 03:16:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An Asteroid macro: first draft [74k]
From: Spider
Date: 21 Apr 1999 23:20:36
Message: <371E8644.A93FB645@bahnhof.se>
Try to write the blobs into a pre-made .inc file, taht way the parsing should be
decreaaased to some part.

<snip>

> On my PII300: parsing: 1-2s
>               rendering: 2mn without AA
>                          1-2h with AA (it's much more faster without normal)
>
> But, when I render a large number of asteroid (for an asteroid field scene I'm
> making), the parse-time is extremely long: 30,40 mn (I tried more Asteroids, but
> after 50mn, I stopped).
Heeeey, what's that for patience... Come on :-)
*grins*
(partly inside joke)

> And this is *the* problem.
> I can't really decrease the number of components:
> for the body, under 300 components, it looks more like a big potato than an
> asteroid.
I can belive you... Perhaps some sort offf LOD(Level Of Detail) decreasion
algorithm? (setting a distance_treshold, that reduces the amount of blobs in
comparsion to the cameras position and angle. Just ideas.

> The solution: I must convert my blob object into a mesh of triangles.
> But I don't know how to do that...
Hmm, difficult indeed.

> PS: Excuse me for my poor English...  :-)
same here :-)

--
//Spider
        [ spi### [at] bahnhofse ]-[ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]