POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Sand Dunes : Re: Sand Dunes Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sand Dunes
From: Ken
Date: 21 Apr 1999 11:04:20
Message: <371DDB2B.42939335@pacbell.net>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> Boy, was I ever wrong about trying to use 'waves'. Anyway this here will
> make a "starter" for you hopefully. Looked fair enough to me.
> Follow the instructions okay and your all set to see this right. Two
> step rendering involved.

 I personaly would have used a gradient pattern with a perturbed
sine wave function added to the turbulence modifier. The addition
of a second transpearent gradient in top of the first with a a much
smaller scale gives the small upclose ripples seen on sand dunes
and the first pattern is for the dunes themselves. A gradiant y
pattern on a z plane using tubulence like this:

pigment { gradient y
  turbulence<0.1,0.3,0.1>
    turbulence<-0.1,-0.3,-0.1>
    Color_map { ....

The dual positive and negative turbulence modifiers give a nice looking
snake like drift to a normaly straight line and that is similar to how
sand dunes look as view from a high place. As Bob illustrated the use
of normals will add the randomness to the surface lending the
final objects surface some much needed realism.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net