POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Photon Patch Observation : Re: Photon Patch Observation Server Time
2 Sep 2024 22:14:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon Patch Observation
From: Ken
Date: 21 Apr 1999 09:35:16
Message: <371DC64C.16CD8859@pacbell.net>
Michael Andrews wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>         The problem is that polynomial objects, like planes, are infinite solid
> primitives and so are not bounded on the fly by PoV.
>         Unfortunately the photon patch gets upset by this and, I believe, tries
> to photon sample between plus and minus infinity (or some approximation
> thereof :-).

Peter - Michael,

 I appreciate you coming to the rescue. It seems I am to be forever plagued
by this bounding box issue. I had no idea that one of the earliest pov object
types did not have an internal bounding scheme. I can see where it would be
a mother of a project to make it work. I will try to pound this into my head
with a large blunt object concerning this issue of bounding. For me it has
become the single greatest contributor to overly long gathering times and
twice now it has tricked me this way. It wont happen again I can assure you.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net