POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Photon Patch Observation : Re: Photon Patch Observation Server Time
2 Sep 2024 22:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon Patch Observation
From: Michael Andrews
Date: 21 Apr 1999 06:28:15
Message: <371D9AD0.5A3AEA4E@remove-this.reading.ac.uk>
Hi Ken,
	The problem is that polynomial objects, like planes, are infinite solid
primitives and so are not bounded on the fly by PoV.
	Unfortunately the photon patch gets upset by this and, I believe, tries
to photon sample between plus and minus infinity (or some approximation
thereof :-).
	The solution is to bound by hand. I put the line

		bounded_by { sphere { 0, 10 } }

in the object definition and it parsed in a couple of seconds.

Ken wrote:

> Hi patch people and Nathan too,
>
>    I recently recieved the source for a representation of a tear drop
>  in the form of a Pov quartic object. After seeing how smooth the
>  object rendered and thinking about it's uniquely recognizable shape
>  I though it would be a good candidate for trial in the Photon patch.
>
>    I ran into an insurmountable problem I though might need to be
>  investigated. I never did get the object to render with the photons
>  turned on. I tried everything and after waiting through 5 min. plus
>  parsing times with no end in sight I gave up.

[snip, snip]

>  With my regards,
>
> --
> Ken Tyler