POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Nuke_um ! : Re: Nuke_um ! Server Time
4 Oct 2024 11:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nuke_um !
From: Ken
Date: 20 Apr 1999 11:18:58
Message: <371C8CCC.90C600B3@pacbell.net>
Marc Schimmler wrote:

> The mushroom cloud should build up nontheless even at the trinity site
> because this is caused by convection of the heated air. The pic you
> showed was taken in a early stage of the explosion.
>
> Even modern weapons, designed to produced special shockwaves etc. will
> show a mushroom cloud if they are fused in the vicinity to ground.
>
> Marc
> --
> Marc Schimmler

  I have little to argue with your statements and did not mean to imply
that a mushroom cloud would be absent in a modern weapon. Quite contrary
to that I would think the effeciency of the modern versions would create
a more unifom shape than the earlier types. The majority of nukes in the
modern US arsenal are no where near as radioactive as the earlier types
due to the effeciency at which they consume the radioactive isotopes
during detonation.
  My father worked in the military aerospace and weapons industry his
whole life and there were a couple of underground tests that he was
invoved with. His presence was needed to set up and monitor special
blast hardened electronics equipment that was exposed to the shock
wave of the blast.
  He mentioned one time that they were allowed back into the tunnels
within two hours of the blast to retrive their equipment and needed
no protective equipment to do so. The delay was needed so the surfaces
of the tunnels could cool enough to be entered. He also mentioned that
while it was safe to go in afterwards, the equipment that they went to
retrieve had fused itself into the rock floor of the tunnel. They were
forced to use pry bars to remove it from the rock as a good 1/4 inch
or so of the rock surface had turned into a glass carbonaceous like
substance. Anyway knowing that they can control the radioactive after
effects to that high degree of precision I see no reason that they
can't design them to have a nice, pretty, and well behaved mushroom
cloud too.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net