POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Nuke_um ! : Re: Nuke_um ! Server Time
4 Oct 2024 11:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nuke_um !
From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 20 Apr 1999 07:00:20
Message: <371C5032.8158C816@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Ken wrote:

>  From a purely technical point of view the symmetrical shape of the
> upper dome is all wrong at least when compared to some of the earlier
> photographed images of aerial detonations. The top should not be nearly
> as flat and symmetrically round as the lathe object I made and there is
> quite a bit of turbulence to the formation of the upper levels that
> give this away as a computer construct. For scenes that the cloud
> will not be in a position to be examined with such scrutiny I doubt
> that it would matter all that much.
>
>   Take a look at the image below. The image on the left is a shot of
> the Nagasaki detonation well after the plane had turned and the image
> on the right is the famed Trinity detonation. Both exhibit different
> behaviour so who knows how the current weapons appear having the
> benefit of state of the art design and manufacturing facilities to
> produce them with.

The biggest difference between the trinity test and the later bombing
has been the height of the detonation point. While the trinity test used
a tower with a height of about guessed 30 or 40 meters while the dropped
bombs were detonated at height of (if I remember correctly) 500 meters
to maximize the damage done by the shockwave (as if that had been
necessary!).

The mushroom cloud should build up nontheless even at the trinity site
because this is caused by convection of the heated air. The pic you
showed was taken in a early stage of the explosion.

Even modern weapons, designed to produced special shockwaves etc. will
show a mushroom cloud if they are fused in the vicinity to ground.

Marc
--
Marc Schimmler