POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Nuke_um ! : Re: Nuke_um ! Server Time
4 Oct 2024 11:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nuke_um !
From: Ken
Date: 20 Apr 1999 04:43:27
Message: <371C3043.15B3BBA0@pacbell.net>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> Number 3. 3rd times a charm, with a bit of tweaking.
> I used the number 2 image combined with a 3rd render, having better
> absorption, by using layered image_map textures with transmit and filter
> on a white 'background'.
> I still wasn't entirely happy with the contrast of that render so I
> opened it into PSP and adjusted it there; not much, but much better.
> Probably could have gotten a good finish to do the same though I used no
> light.
> Speaking of light, I used two in the top of the explosion cloud. One
> point light and one a 'spotlight' above that and pointing down with a
> 'radius 15 falloff 30 tightness 1'.
> Don't think I said before but the air cloud and ground rings are simply
> textured torii, no media in them. It was too slow that way.

  Ok Bob. I'm ready to take my source back now so I can add the
finishing touches. Thanks for taking the tim....

   Seriously I would like to see what you have done with the media.
I'm not so sure I would have resorted to the buried light source but
in this game whatever achieves the desired goal is acceptable. If you
would prefer not to make it public you are welcome to send it to me
privately, or not at all is an option too. You have piqued my curiosity
now and that can be a terrible itch for me to try to scratch.

 From a purely technical point of view the symmetrical shape of the
upper dome is all wrong at least when compared to some of the earlier
photographed images of aerial detonations. The top should not be nearly
as flat and symmetrically round as the lathe object I made and there is
quite a bit of turbulence to the formation of the upper levels that
give this away as a computer construct. For scenes that the cloud
will not be in a position to be examined with such scrutiny I doubt
that it would matter all that much.

  Take a look at the image below. The image on the left is a shot of
the Nagasaki detonation well after the plane had turned and the image
on the right is the famed Trinity detonation. Both exhibit different
behaviour so who knows how the current weapons appear having the
benefit of state of the art design and manufacturing facilities to
produce them with.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net