POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Nuke_um ! : Re: Nuke_um ! Server Time
4 Oct 2024 05:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nuke_um !
From: Ken
Date: 19 Apr 1999 18:49:22
Message: <371BA51F.F832DB7C@pacbell.net>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> GrimDude wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, animating it may prove difficult.
> >

> You bet. Took 2h 46m to render this one, with AA on, on a 233MMX cpu. I
> used a double instance of the object though and it would have probably
> taken only 1h 45m I guess. I did so many s-l-o-w test renders at 160x120
> I gave up at this point with a 320x240 res. See what you think,
> realistic or not. I believe it's lacking a lot still. Namely better
> color differentation.
>
> Disclaimer: nuking of any form is not necessarily endorsed by the maker
> of this image nor implied to be by the newsgroup proprietors. But you
> may want to check with the original creator and poster(s) as to their
> beliefs.
>
> How's that for legal mumbo-jumbo?

  I don't know about that but it seems to me that as an American tax
payer I am sure that at least some portion of my earnings have gone
towards the development and deployment of nuclear weaponry. I hate to
see my hard earned money go to waste and think we should go nuke the
_ell out of something just so they don't go to waste. You know
something like the dark side of the moon or one of the lesser planets
would do it for me. I'm easily pleased an this would impress the _ell
out of me. Maybe a year 2000 multi national super nuclear fireworks
extravaganza compliments of the US military in cooperation with, and
aided by, the former Soviet Union, India, France and China's nuclear
weapons arsonals.

----------------

 I am very impressed with the improvements you have made to the source
I posted. About the only thing I believe you missed is a circular shock
wave at ground level similar to the aerial version you have depicted.
I seem to recall that the shock wave is much flatter than the one above
and it's lateral travel is well in advance of the terrestrial debris
cloud at the base of the detonation. I have seen a similar effect when
one of the 2000lb bombs, dropped from a B-52 on Iraq during the gulf war,
detonates. The shock wave is quite visible and you can clearly see a
visible atmospheric distortion as it spreads laterally out from the
point of impact.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net