POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just Curious : Re: Just Curious Server Time
4 Oct 2024 05:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just Curious
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 18 Apr 1999 05:20:17
Message: <371995c1.0@news.povray.org>
Thomas Lake wrote in message <37199110.D024DB48@home.com>...
>Bob Hughes wrote:

[snip]
>> You mention "small" warez things like cracked versions of 3DS. Can't see
>> that as being a small thing myself.
>
>I meant the distinction between large scale pirating operations for money
and
>people cracking programs on their home pc.

The problem with warez ("people cracking programs on their home pc") is not
that those people are cracking the software - if it was for their own use!
Usually they don't "crack-to-use" anyway, but just to crack. They are not
really interested in actually using the cracked software much anyway - which
means: They wouldn't have bought the software anyway - no harm done!

At the first view!

But what *really* pisses me off is, that those "home pc" crackers (which you
define as "small") then *publish* the software on warez-sites, making the
"cracked-for-fun-and-the-determintation-to-show-that-it-can-be-done"
software available to unscrupulous users, like 3D artists without a
conscience (hopefully there are only a few) that would otherwise actually
have bought the product because they really need and use it, or even to
those "we-are-in-it-for-the-money" software pirates that you say are bad.

Do you really think that those pirates do their own cracks? Why should they?
There are enough cracks around done by those oh-so-innocent "home-pc"
crackers!

Johannes.