POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Identifier declared but never used : Identifier declared but never used Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  Identifier declared but never used
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 17 Apr 1999 16:21:14
Message: <3718df2a.0@news.povray.org>
Some times (or better: many many times) I use an include file or a macro
(mainly those made by Colefax :) ) and I set parameters for it by #declaring
identifiers but I make a typing mistake (like typing Deform_Mesh or
defor_mesh or whatever instead of deform_mesh) and then I wonder why it
doesn't work. Then I have to search through all the 30 #declares to
see if one of them is incorrect.
  Wouldn't it be nice to have a warning option in povray just like in
most C (or whatever language) compilers? This option would turn on
warnings of the type "Identifier declared but never used" and I would
immediatly see if I mistyped an identifier.
  Of course there's one big problem with this: If you include, for
example, colors.inc, you will get a few warnings...
  There should be a way to exclude parts of the code from being tested
for this kind of warnings. Something like this:

#no_warnings
#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"
#end

#include "coolmacro.inc"

  The warning code could also test other things. It would be nice to see
warning messages like:

Warning: CSG object has coincident surfaces.
Warning: The output image file is used in image_map
etc...