POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Let's make a forest : Re: Let's make a forest Server Time
4 Oct 2024 05:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Let's make a forest
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 17 Apr 1999 06:59:16
Message: <37185BF7.DC78154@inapg.inra.fr>
Hmm. It could be useful in some cases, and a little cumbersome in others.
Personnally I prefer having the trees not scaled and adjust the size using the
dummy bounding box: for instance, if you generate several trees just but changing
the random seed or the recursion level, you'll get trees of different sizes but
with a similar scale. If the trees were post-scaled, you'd get even-sized trees but
with actually different scales, so you would have to make trial-and-error scaling
to have trees consistent with each other. There's also the fact that the trees
don't exactly fit in a box. Some of them crawl, some shoot up, so there's no ideal
unit-size bounding box. In fact people who provide really good 3D trees also
provide the "real life" bounding box : see http://iris8.cirad.fr/index.htm and look
at the plant catalogue.
Now if you really want it, I can add it as an option.
Gilles