POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : General Moray Question : Re: General Moray Question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: General Moray Question
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 16 Apr 1999 14:58:43
Message: <37177a53.0@news.povray.org>
Nieminen Mika wrote in message <37172915.0@news.povray.org>...
[snip]

>> I understand that it would require major rewriting
>
>  I don't. Why it should be so hard to just swap y and z coordinates
>together?

Actually (as I guess you know) it would be a rotation by 90 degrees and a
mirroring (changing signs along one axis)...

Anyway: When I wrote "I understand that it would require major rewriting" I
was thinking back to some long ago ;-) post by Lutz where he wrote that he
once started with programming the povray default coordinates, and stopped
again, because it proved to be so difficult to include into moray's code (if
my vague recollection is correct).

As a programmer, I know that software very often contains pitfalls and
problems not apparent to anyone who is not involved with the development
himself, so I take this statement by Lutz (again: If I recall it correctly)
at face value and simply believe him, instead of going around and stating
"but it should be easy, so it *must* be easy, and I don't understand why it
shouldn't!".

Johannes.