POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV 4 ideology proposal : Re: POV 4 ideology proposal Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:15:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 4 ideology proposal
From: Ron Parker
Date: 15 Apr 1999 10:21:02
Message: <3715e7be.0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:05:41 +0200, Spider <spi### [at] bahnhofse> wrote:
>> > Now, what we can't do with the current version is this:
>> >
>> > #declare SomeSphere.position=SomeSphere.position+<0,1,0>;
>>
>> #declare SomeSphere = object { SomeSphere translate y }
>> Does exactly it.
>Sure, but you can't do
>#declare SomeSphere.position.y = SomeSphere.position.x;
>#declare SomeSphere.position.x = SomeSphere.position.z;
>
>without a biiig hazzle.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you need access
to the position of the sphere, put it in a variable when you know
it, then use the variable later.  Yes, this is simplistic.  Yes,
it's not as sexy as having lots of dots (the most-used word of 1997
was dot, after all.)

>> Anyway, what's the use of all that?  Want to have another sphere,
>> redeclare it.  Or better, if it's another sphere, use another object.
>It's not another sphere. It's the SAME sphere. That's the point with oo.

There's no use to moving the spheres around unless you have the ability
to save the scene for use in the next frame.  If that's what you want
to do, you already have semi-persistent variables with the read/write
stuff, though in principle I'm opposed to persistent variables anyway,
since they sorta kill any scalability-across-a-network an animation
might have had.