POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV 4 ideology proposal : Re: POV 4 ideology proposal Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 4 ideology proposal
From: Spider
Date: 14 Apr 1999 21:47:47
Message: <37148495.766F5371@bahnhof.se>
Spider jumps in. Decloaked.

Ok, I've kept myself out of this thread too long .-)

Actually, some very good ideas has come, but the OO scripting is one oof my
favourites(and translucency:-)

Here goes.

Roland Mas wrote:

> Mikael Carneholm <sa9### [at] idautbhbse> writes:
>
> > This is already pretty close to OO scripting!  (SomeSphere is the
> > "class" and it is instanced with object{})
>
> Sure.  Why change that?
Good.

> > Now, what we can't do with the current version is this:
> >
> > #declare SomeSphere.position=SomeSphere.position+<0,1,0>;
>
> #declare SomeSphere = object { SomeSphere translate y }
> Does exactly it.
Sure, but you can't do
#declare SomeSphere.position.y = SomeSphere.position.x;
#declare SomeSphere.position.x = SomeSphere.position.z;

without a biiig hazzle.

> > #declare SomeSphere.radius=1.5;
>
> I'm not sure it really cannot be done.
yes, but to change an objects propertised based on it's current properties.
that's where the OO mode will come in as a GREAT aid.

> > #declare SomeSphere.pigment=pigment{color rgb<0,0,1>};
>
> #declare SomeSphere = object { SomeSphere pigment{color rgb<0,0,1>} }
> Does exactly it.
yes, but if I want a nifty shader done on the object depending on its position?
That would turn out pretty nasty(Sure, use a texture, but that woudln't suit in
all cases. (ie. the whole objects pigment depends on it y value(gradient y) )

> Anyway, what's the use of all that?  Want to have another sphere,
> redeclare it.  Or better, if it's another sphere, use another object.
It's not another sphere. It's the SAME sphere. That's the point with oo.

--
//Spider
        [ spi### [at] bahnhofse ]-[ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]