POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Updated electric guitar : Re: Updated electric guitar Server Time
4 Oct 2024 13:09:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Updated electric guitar
From: Dylan Beattie
Date: 13 Apr 1999 20:27:47
Message: <3713D1F0.E08500C9@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Phil Clute wrote:

> I had a piano teacher once who was also a math teacher, and he
> maintained that music is most closely related to math...

You ever read the Douglas Adams' (Hitch-Hiker's Guide) novel 'Dirk
Gently's Holistic Detective Agency?' It's got some great ideas about
fractal music - making music out of numbers the way fractal pictures are
generated.

> Certainly music is made of patterns that are expressed as fractions ie.
> a 3rd above the root, or a quarter note, half note etc.

Yeah, my POV-Ray guitar (work in progress... slowly) uses the same
algorithm for calculating fret distances as the two real guitars I've
built  - although with the amount of time I have spare ATM (or rather
the lack of it...) the POV-Ray guitar's going to take longer than the
real one did... :)

Cheers,

D.
Dylan Beattie          dmb### [at] ecssotonacuknospam
Pt II Computer Science,    University of Southampton
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~dmb197/     ICQ:34865704