POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Insectoid Robot: Comments Welcome, Advice Encouraged : Re: Insectoid Robot: Comments Welcome, Advice Encouraged Server Time
4 Oct 2024 07:14:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Insectoid Robot: Comments Welcome, Advice Encouraged
From: Charles Krause
Date: 12 Apr 1999 12:10:35
Message: <37120ceb.0@news.povray.org>

>Bear in mind that I also plan to animate it, and I'd like to move the legs
>in a believable fashion: Specifically, I want it to move like an INSECT,
>rather than like a robot. Any advice along those lines will be gratefully
>accepted.

This is tricky indeed, I don't know offhand where you'd get such
information, unless you sit down and watch some beetles walk.

Possible sources of hexapedal locamotion information is various robotic
movement studies - I know several robotics labs are experimenting with
walkers of various numbers of legs.

You also might look at movement 'datasets', usually commercial sets of
points which describe movements of specific models doing specific actions.
For examples, you can get the joint positions of a human model for walking,
which are suitable for looping into a walk. I don't know if there exists a
group of insect datasets or not, and even if there were, they might not be
available without parting with some $.

You are probably best inventing a style of walking for your model, or is
realism is that important, you might have to actually observe some insects.
I'm sure a local pet store that carries tarantulas will also have crickets -
as they are a food source for the spiders - and it would cost very little to
get some 'test subjects' :)