POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Translucency demonstration (97 K) : Re: Translucency demonstration (97 K) - CANDLE.jpg Server Time
4 Oct 2024 13:11:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Translucency demonstration (97 K) - CANDLE.jpg
From: Ken
Date: 12 Apr 1999 03:38:20
Message: <37119290.3B46385D@pacbell.net>
Peter Popov wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:14:37 +1000, "Lance Birch"
> <lan### [at] usanet> wrote:
>
> >Well, the main thing I was looking at was the light fading in the candle...
> >(downwards)
> >
> >You know how when you light a candle the top part is a lot lighter than the
> >base (and I don't mean the flame there either ;-) he he he
> >
> >Also, the top part of the candle should be shinnier than the bottom (because
> >the wax is heated and takes on a shiny appearance).
> >
> >Just a thought...
>
> Do you like this implementation, Lance? This is part of my May-June
> 1997 entry, re-rendered in 3.1 (no halo). Check the IRTC archive, I've
> posted source too (indented and commented :) ). HTH.
>
> ---------
> Peter Popov

Hi Peter,

  I like it.

  I just visited about 20 candle web sites trying to get a good image
of a real burning candle and dicovered one surprising fact. People who
manufacture and sell candles know absolutely nothing about photography.
In virtualy all cases the candles were brand new when the photos were
taken and the flames were dancing at the ends of their long new wicks.
Added to this the majority were photographed against a light background
that reflected the over enthusiastic use of flash photographay which
nearly washed out the brilliance of the candle flame itself.
  One thing that I did notice is that a lot of what I think we percieve
as translucence is as much a pigmentation characteristic coupled with
a soft but very uniform reflective surface. The reflection on the
surface of a smooth candle is pretty high. I would guess a reflection
of .2 - .4 would be close to real.
  Also I just lit a candle that is designed to burn down through the
middle and leave the shell intact. Is has a splotchy red, dark turquoise,
and light pink pattern that goes through the candle. When looking at it
in a darkened room there is not nearly the kind of glow that you would
imagine. If aything it looks more like a pigment that has the ambient
setting turned up about .3 too high. Perhaps this varies from candle
to candle but I have no doubt that I could render an accurate duplicate
of this candle without the need to resort to anything else but standard
pigments and finish statements.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net