POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Translucency demonstration (97 K) : Re: Translucency demonstration (97 K) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 07:13:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Translucency demonstration (97 K)
From: Ken
Date: 11 Apr 1999 23:15:51
Message: <3711553D.C9A79D80@pacbell.net>
Lance Birch wrote:

> While this is OK, I imagine that the rendering time is quite large... what I
> was proposing is for someone to write a specific function for it... not only
> would this be faster and easier to work with, it would also have no sampling
> problems commonly associated with media...

  We understood your proposal but there is always going to people willing
to explore the possibilities of using the current abilities of the program
to model the effect that is needed. It may or may not be something extremely
easy is attacked the right way. I have seen things done with Pov that I
would never have dreamed was possible witht the available features but
there it was for all to see.
  The one big problem I have with Pov's current model for media is that
the monte carlo sampling method employed it too limited in scope to be
as useful as it needs to be to cover all of it's intended applications.
Some added options and better sampling features would extend it to become
a very powerful medium.

> Now see if you can do this, a lit candle... :)
> Lance.

Been there done that long ago. Piece of cake. See below.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message