POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Translucency demonstration (97 K) : Re: Translucency demonstration (97 K) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 07:14:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Translucency demonstration (97 K)
From: Ken
Date: 11 Apr 1999 20:13:39
Message: <37112AB4.43CC4E3C@pacbell.net>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> Here's a little scene to demonstrate using media to simulate translucency
> (diffuse transmission). Dont' tell me the wallpaper, table etc. suck. I know
> and right now I don't care. Just concentrate your gaze upon the lamp shade
> and tell me what you think.

The table mearly sucks. The wall paper sucks immaculate. I will let it go
since it is a proof of concept image.

> I had to use very dense media to get only diffuse light transmission (rgb
> 1500). This posed a bit of a problem, understandable when you read my post
> about media_interaction (in .general). So there are actually 2 lamp shades:
> one, the media container, with a clear filter and no_shadow to avoid the
> shadow of the media (which would be nearly opaque in this scene); and
> another, slightly thicker, using a yellowish filter to create the shadow you
> see.
>
> In the process, I encountered other quirks. Using a area light changes the
> appearance of the media radically (much brighter and horribly grainy). Using
> transmit also makes the media very grainy. I'm still exploring these
> problems.
>
> Margus

Hi Margus,

  I think you are on the right track if media is the choice you
prefer to model translucency with. I still think there are other
alternatives but I am not going to say what until I get a chance
to test my own theories. Your rgb values sound a bit whacko and
I don't understand why you would have to go so high with them.
In this business whatever works I suppose.

Ken's tip of the week:

   An interesting thing happens to media used inside a container if you
add an ior value to the interior statement that also contains the density
statement. I don't understand exactly what happens but it has a tendency
to polarize(?) the grain structure of the media providing a somewhat
smoother appearance. It might be worth trying with the media in this model
to see how different it is and if it behaves better or worse. I tried this
with a color list patterns study I did about a month ago and there was a
noticeable difference in how the density appeared. In the case of where I
used it the difference was better as it both smoothed the density of the
media as well as giving it better visibility in the lighting conditions
that were used.
  Your mileage may differ and some restrictions do apply. See your local
representative for details or answers to other questions you may have
concerning these restrictions and ways you may remedy them. Void where
prohibited or restricted by law. All rights reserved. No other conditions
apply whether implied or otherwise.

 Have a nice day :)

--
Ken Tyler