POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Translucency demonstration (97 K) : Translucency demonstration (97 K) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 07:12:26 EDT (-0400)
  Translucency demonstration (97 K)
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 11 Apr 1999 19:22:06
Message: <3711208e.0@news.povray.org>
Here's a little scene to demonstrate using media to simulate translucency
(diffuse transmission). Dont' tell me the wallpaper, table etc. suck. I know
and right now I don't care. Just concentrate your gaze upon the lamp shade
and tell me what you think.

I had to use very dense media to get only diffuse light transmission (rgb
1500). This posed a bit of a problem, understandable when you read my post
about media_interaction (in .general). So there are actually 2 lamp shades:
one, the media container, with a clear filter and no_shadow to avoid the
shadow of the media (which would be nearly opaque in this scene); and
another, slightly thicker, using a yellowish filter to create the shadow you
see.

In the process, I encountered other quirks. Using a area light changes the
appearance of the media radically (much brighter and horribly grainy). Using
transmit also makes the media very grainy. I'm still exploring these
problems.

Margus

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: