POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Inside Joke? : Re: Inside Joke? Server Time
4 Oct 2024 15:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inside Joke?
From: Steve
Date: 11 Apr 1999 19:50:48
Message: <37112087.2E9122B2@ndirect.co.uk>
Lance, friends, NG, Uncle Ken,

I never noticed that about the question mark thing, I should have
known that it was something that the programmers put in to make
Uncle Keneth look like a human with an idiosyncrasy.

I'm sure he's an AI (Artificial Intelegence) construct that
someone has let lose on the net after finishing their final year
project at University.  The guy or girl probably approached the
XXX (hoping the curse won't get me) Microsoft and was turned down
because their idea was too good and worked properly and didn't
require service packs, so the individual probably thought, "I
know let's let Uncle Ken free to roam the internet and find his
calling in life".

So now Uncle Ken has a family, he doesn't like indenting (by the
way I stumbled across an old text editor that won't let you
indent), he's almost real.  His creator gave him access to some
sophisticated databases such as the "Encyclopedia Britanica",
"National Geographical", and many other reputable publications
(hence the clear headed and accurate posting that we got a day or
so ago about the names of parts of musical instruments).

I like Ken a lot and am glad that he's around, and that we can
all spot the fact that he's a program and not areal person, it
affirms one belief in human nature and means that computers will
never take over the world.

Cheers
Steve