POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV 4 ideology proposal : Re: POV 4 ideology proposal Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 4 ideology proposal
From: Mathias Broxvall
Date: 11 Apr 1999 09:11:01
Message: <37109154.14A8B97@ida.liu.se>
Eugene Arenhaus wrote:

> Hi.
>

> Here are some thoughts about what POV-Ray 4 could look like.

Hi!

What you write seem to me like a very good idea even
though there have been many negative responses in this

newsgroup. A somewhat different suggestion rather than

to implement your comments in a rewritten povray 4

would be to gather a few (4-5) raytracer programmers

and create a completely new (free!) raytracer based on
the experience we have drawn from povray. The concept

would be the same, a scriptable raytracer engine based
on a formal language rather than a GUI, but one would

get the chance to implement everything in a "cleaner"

and more OO etc way...

I have been thinking for quite some time about

implementing a povray like raytracer (not sharing any

piece of code!) to face both the problems you mentioned
in your earlier comments and to get a chanche to

implement a few other conceptual ideas (I will not dvelve
into those here, the posting would become very large

otherwise). I think a clean restart on a completely

separate program (with a completly different name and

not using a single line of pov code or anything the like)

would be the best since it probably would take a long

time before the program becomes good and popular with

users (the conceptuall ideas, both yours and mine,will

probably have to evolve before they become

"user-friendly". Syntax,Semantics etc will need to

change) and facing such major changes as you proposed

it would be best if users and developers don't see it

as just another version of Povray.

Two negative aspects of creating a new raytracer would

be that the math's have to be redone (immoral and

illegal to reuse code from povray) and the risk of not

becoming popular among the users.

So to the conclusion... are you interested in writing a

*new* raytracer? If so I would be happy to discuss design

issues and brainstorm features. Is anyone else (serious)

interested in writing a *new* raytracer? It's an enourmous
task to do so but it would realy be fun...

/ Mathias Broxvall