POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : music - guitar : Re: music - guitar Server Time
4 Oct 2024 13:11:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: music - guitar
From: Ken
Date: 10 Apr 1999 23:52:59
Message: <37100D0C.A8FA3635@pacbell.net>
Phil Clute wrote:

> I try to stick to guitar If I can but I sing from time to time. It's not
> always
> painful to hear but I learned to sing so I would be a decent back-up
> singer.
> I've been playing guitar for...oh, about 14 yrs? I don't play much
> anymore.
> A few months ago I bought Cakewalk Pro audio 8 which is software to
> record midi and audio and run them together. It cost me about $250.00.
> I of course also have Povray for free...
> Now, does Phil spend all his spare time using:
> (A) the $250.00 program
> (B) the free program?
>
> Answer: (B)
> But my Obi-Wan Lightsabre is looking better and better all the time!

That sounds all too familiar. I purchased Auto Cad 14 last year. It is
considered one of the leaders for cad programs and offers 3D solid object
modeling and 3 different forms of rendering including a photorealistic
raytracing process (questionable). I paid over $600 US for the program.

I have Pov-Ray for windows that I obtained for free.

Of the two which do you think has paid for itself ?

A. Auto Cad 14 that I use sometimes to fix .dxf files so I can export them
as .3ds files which are later converted to Pov files for rendering.
On 3 occassions I actually used it to read some customer drawings that
were sent to me but I cold have obtained the info from by other means.

or

B. Pov-Ray for windows and dos that has been used on average of 3 - 5
times a week for 4 years now.

My vote has to be Pov-Ray for windows. Even had I paid over $600 dollars
for it it would have paid for itself many times over by now. Auto Cad 14
is not turning out to be the wise investment I had hoped it would be.
I should probably sell it before the next version release which would
kill it's current high resale value -  the only redeeming value it has.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net