POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Speckled Shadows? : Re: Speckled Shadows? Server Time
4 Oct 2024 07:11:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speckled Shadows?
From: Charles Krause
Date: 10 Apr 1999 00:54:56
Message: <370ecb90.0@news.povray.org>

>> I increased the number of elements in the light from a 2x2 array to a
10x10
>> array - and lost most of the shadow artifacts. It _quintupled_ the render
>> time however.
>
>Ya well 10x10 really is overkill for most images. Try a 5x5 array with
adaptive
>set to 5.

I tried that first, but there were still shadow artifacts - that's why I
jumped it up to 10. Someone pointed out that the closer something is to the
array, the more elements are needed - and this scene is pretty compact.

Just for the hell of it, I added high-quality radiosity and a focal blur -
it's still rendering, but what I can see is _very_ realistic in quality. Of
course, it's 45% done, been rendering for 2 hours 28 minutes, while the
plain image without any of the bells and whistles, and a point light, takes
4 minutes :)