POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV 4 ideology proposal : Re: POV 4 ideology proposal Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 4 ideology proposal
From: Jerry Anning
Date: 10 Apr 1999 00:16:41
Message: <370ec01f.21597182@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 09 Apr 1999 22:27:53 -0400, Nathan Kopp <Nat### [at] Koppcom>
wrote:

>Jerry Anning wrote:
>>
>> I don't object to object orientation in principle, although I despise
>> the long-winded dot notation.
>
>... but since when is dot notation long-winded?  A dot,
>being a single character, is about as short as you can get.  What I
>dislike is having to put "#declare" in front of all assignment statements.
>It's worse than the LET in very old versions of BASIC.

I've just seen too many pathological specimens that look like:
Object.box.face.vertical.x_axis_normal.left.ColorVector.red.Increment(.2)
I exaggerate, but the point should be clear.  "#declare" irritates me
too.  I suppose that in my perfect world everything would be an APL
one-liner....

Jerry Anning
clem "at" dhol "dot" com