POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Speckled Shadows? : Re: Speckled Shadows? Server Time
4 Oct 2024 07:10:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speckled Shadows?
From: Charles Krause
Date: 9 Apr 1999 22:07:32
Message: <370ea454.0@news.povray.org>
Thomas Lake wrote in message <370E9E3C.E3EAFA83@home.com>...
>Oh and a note though changing these setting will increase render time,
depending
>on how high you set them and the kind of scene you have. Play around with
the
>values to get the optimum tradeoff.

Very much so!

I increased the number of elements in the light from a 2x2 array to a 10x10
array - and lost most of the shadow artifacts. It _quintupled_ the render
time however.

I don't know how much the increased adaptive jitter will increase the final
render time, as it's STILL rendering ;) On my lowley P133, it's rendering at
36 points per second!

One the other hand, so far the shadows look perfect using these two settings
in conjunction. I think a bit of light code like...

#declare final=0;

light_source {
                  <-0.5, 4.5, -0.5>
                  color <1,1,1>
                  area_light <1, 0, 0>, <0, 0, 1>, (final ? 2 : 10), (final
? 2 : 10)
                  adaptive (final ? 1 : 5)
                  jitter
                  fade_distance 12.0