POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : saving pov pics : Re: saving pov pics Server Time
6 Sep 2024 02:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: saving pov pics
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 9 Apr 1999 11:45:40
Message: <370e1294.0@news.povray.org>
Hi ET!

I just reread the text on the VFAQ and also Ken's reply, and there is
nothing rude or "ivory-tower" like about it.
On the contrary: It often happens that people ask the same questions over
and over in a newsgroup. This is quite natural: People logging on to a group
for the first time usually don't read all the older posts (which is
understandable, since there often are quite many). Instead they simply ask
the question they happen to have. And some questions simply show up more
often than others.

This is why FAQs where born: To help the regulars in answering those
questions. Now they don't have to retype the answer each time someone asks
it (which they would soon be tired of, leaving the question simply
unanswered), but can simply point to the FAQ. A very efficient and
comfortable thing for both sides.

If you get annoyed and feel rudly handled when Ken (quite politely and with
lots of understanding for the beginner) points you to the FAQ, then *you*
are the one showing bad netiquette - which leaves you in no position to
complain about those of others.

The povray newssever is especially friendly and helpful. There are almost no
flamewars here, and the ones that happen wouldn't be even noticed in other
groups, calm as they are. Actually your reply to Ken's post was the rudest I
have read on this server for quite some time.
The group is also very helpful to beginners.

Just how friendly and helpful, you can see by the fact, that Ken did not
answer with a brandishing flame to your post, but once again was helpful and
friendly - he even apologized to you, when he had actually done nothing
wrong.
As another example for that he was in *no* way speaking from an ivory tower,
I quote from his first post:

> If it [the VFAQ] doesn't tell you what you want to know then come
> back here and I will try to fill in the blank spots for you.

Sounds *very* helpful to me!

I, as friendly as possible, suggest that you check *your* attitude if you
plan to make friends on and get help from the net.

yours,

Johannes.