POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux(general quiz) : Re: Linux(general quiz) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux(general quiz)
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 9 Apr 1999 08:06:32
Message: <370ddf38.0@news.povray.org>
Luis M. Ibarra <mib### [at] janoestadisticaunammx> wrote:
: Learn Emacs, it'll pay back soon.

  I wouldn't say "soon".
  I have used emacs for about 4 years now. It took me about 2 years to learn
just how to reconfigure the keys (for example I wanted alt-x to be the same
as ctrl-x-c, F2 to save, etc).
  I still don't know how to configure the indentation to work the way I
want. There are predefined indentation configurations, but none of those
work as I want.
  I have read manuals and tutorials, but ALL of the are CRYPTIC! It seems
to be a curse with emacs. You simpy _can't_ make an emacs tutorial
(specially about configuring emacs) without being extremely cryptic.
  I have read LOTS of text about configuring the indentation in emacs. I
still don't know how to do it.

  Btw, I'm writing this with emacs. It's almost perfectly configured now.
  'Home' goes to the beginning of the line, 'End' to the end of the line.
  'Page Up' and 'Page Down' moves the cursor _exactly_ the number of rows
up or down that are visible (like any dos/windows editor would do by default).
This means that if I press page up and then page down, I end in the same
place where I started (by default the cursor would end in the top left
corner). Pressing page up in the first page will move the cursor to the
beginning of the text and the same thing with page down.
  Ctrl-up and ctrl-down will scroll the text. Ctrl-Home goes to the
beginning of the text and ctrl-end to the end of the text. Ctrl-right and
ctrl-left go one word to the right and left respectively (although not in
the same way as in text editors usually...).
  Shift+cursor movement paints the text and ctrl-ins, shift-ins and shift-del
work just like in dos/windows editors.
  C-code is colored.
  It took me 4 years to get emacs to work this way. It still isn't perfect.
The main problem is that the indentation doesn't work like I want. There are
some other minor problems too.