POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV 4 ideology proposal : Re: POV 4 ideology proposal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:25:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 4 ideology proposal
From: Lance Birch
Date: 8 Apr 1999 10:16:01
Message: <370cac11.0@news.povray.org>
Sure, while it'd be nice to have stacking like MAX, and object oriented
design, and modula implementation, it would also mean that it would be
harder to make scenes... and t would take longer... you'd have to type more,
you'd have to redesign all your old scenes from scratch... Sure, in programs
like MAX it's easy, mainly because it has an INTERFACE!!!  It's easy to make
a stack, because all objects have one, and all you have to essentially do is
click... but in POV-Ray, can you imagine trying to type all that?  You've
got to be joking right?  I mean, yeah, sure, it would make further
development faster (where like MAX, adding a primitive is as simple as
writing a DLL and droping it in the STD Plug-ins directory), the same would
apply for POV-Ray, just write the new function and away you go... But when
it comes down to it there is an aweful lot of redesigning to be done... a
HUGE amount of redesigning to be done...

Well, I guess if the POV-Team are willing to do it, KEWL!!!  :-)

I don't mean to put a damper on the idea or anything... it WOULD make a lot
of things easier...

Then again, I'm probably not the right person to be commenting on this
because I don't have a huge amount of experiance with C++, so I don't know
how hard it would be to convert everything...

So basically, just ignore this message totally :)

In any case, GOOOOOOO POOOOVVV-RRRRAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;-)

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone