POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Wood & Heightfield : Re: Wood & Heightfield Server Time
4 Oct 2024 09:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wood & Heightfield
From: GrimDude
Date: 8 Apr 1999 05:35:33
Message: <370c6a55.0@news.povray.org>
Thomas Lake wrote in message <370C4A62.DE542FBF@home.com>...
>I remember a couple of people's posts to my images mentioning that a
>better way to make a flat wood surface is to use a height_field with
>matching wood texture. How exactly do you go about doing this? Would you
>place the height_field just above the surface of the wooden object?
>Would you use a wood texture created by pov as the bit map for the
>height_field?

Ken is right of course. This is overkill. The effect, however, is more
effective then a simple normal, or bump.

Here is a sample file to create the hf:

----------------

#include "Colors.inc"
#include "Textures.inc"
#include "Woods.inc"

global_settings { hf_gray_16  }

box { <-5,-5,5>,<5,5,5.1> texture { T_Wood21 scale <5,25,5> translate
45*x } }

camera { location <0,0,-3> direction z look_at 0 }
light_source { <0,0,-3> color rgb 1 shadowless }

Put the resulting image in a directory from your Pov library path, and then:

#declare FloorBoard = height_field { tga "Plank21.tga" smooth translate
   texture { T_Wood21 scale <5,5,5> translate 45*x } scale <2,.25,50> }

Just an example.

GrimDude
vos### [at] arkansasnet