POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray modification question : Re: POV-Ray modification question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray modification question
From: Ray Gardener
Date: 8 Apr 1999 02:01:22
Message: <370c3822.0@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <37097246.CEB5F0E3@pacbell.net>...

>  You seem to have pretty good control of what is
>happening where and at what level in Leveller and the two might find some
>sort of harmonious exsistance.

Well, I was all set to add raytracing to Leveller,
but then I thought, the world doesn't need Yet
Another Renderer. Before I go down that road,
due dilegence requires that I look into seeing
what POV-Ray can do (or be made to do). Otherwise,
there's a danger of adding rendering features
specific to Leveller, and then it would have to
render all sorts of other primitives in order
to make full scenes work. And I'd have to constantly
keep upgrading the renderer to keep it current.
With a full-time staff, maybe, but not the way
things are now.

And people have a big investment in POV -- it's
better to leverage that. We're almost at the
point where $50-$100 gets you into some serious
kick-ass landscape modelling/rendering, without
being overly difficult for the average user.
When the Superpatch is integrated into POV 3.5,
and Leveller starts automating the script
generation for the new texture options more,
I think we're going to see some amazing stuff,
without burning me out production-wise. Or
someone else could automate the scripts, too.

Ray