POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Newbie question : Re: Newbie question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie question
From: Ron Parker
Date: 7 Apr 1999 19:05:05
Message: <370bd691.0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 7 Apr 1999 23:04:48 +0200, Daniele Varrazzo <piroofficineit> wrote:
>Hi, everybody.
>I'm a newbie in POV programming, so i have many SO simple questions... Is
>there any FAQ about POV-Ray's source (i.e. what does "sibling" mean???)

Somebody's working on a FAQ.  sibling is a pointer to other objects in
the same CSG.  so in

  union {
    object {foo}
    object {bar}
    difference {
      object {baz}
      object {quuz}
    }
  }

foo and bar are siblings, and baz and quux are siblings.  There are also
two anonymous objects, one for the union and one for the difference.  The
anonymous difference object is a sibling of foo and bar.

>I'd like to translate my lofter routine into a new primitive. So, does
>anybody know if POV 3.5 will support closed triangle meshes? Who should i
>talk with, Nathan Kopp, Chris Young or...

My understanding is that the entire purpose of POV 3.5 is to take all those
unofficial patches out there and try to make some of them official.  There
isn't currently a 100% working version of closed triangle meshes, so my guess
would be no.  But I've been wrong before.