POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Request: new pigment : Re: Request: new pigment Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:31:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request: new pigment
From: Ron Parker
Date: 7 Apr 1999 12:44:41
Message: <370b7d69.0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 07 Apr 1999 02:41:24 GMT, Ronald L. Parker <par### [at] mailfwicom> wrote:
>No sooner said than done (I had already been working on it.)  Just
>paste this whole article into POV and render.  Scale is a little
>funky--the hexes are one unit from point to point.  That makes the
>calculation of mortar thickness a little tricky but not impossible.
>Just divide the thickness you want by .866 and subtract from 1 to
>get the cutoff to use in the color_map.

Just a side note... if you remove the 'scale .5' at the end, the
pattern coincides perfectly with the 'hexagons' pigment type, so
you can use transparency in your color map to see through to some
nice pigment-mapped stone hexagons.  Of course, none of this is
actually germane to povray.programming, except in that it's saved
us from having to do any programming on POV. :)