POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray modification question : Re: POV-Ray modification question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:28:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray modification question
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 6 Apr 1999 22:45:55
Message: <370ab780.25255646@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 17:09:48 -0700, "Ray Gardener"
<ray### [at] daylongraphicscom> wrote:

>Maybe we can borrow gcc's code here -- it's all open source, right?

GCC is GPL.  GPL is not compatible with the POV license.  In fact,
the POV license isn't even technically open source.

>As for Java, Perl, and any other interpretation system:
>I have to pass. No interpreter is fast enough; I need
>every last machine cycle available, when you consider that
>the code may need to be called for every pixel on the
>rendered image.

Java is nearly as fast as compiled code if you have a JIT.
Neither system is interpreted, though; they're both p-code
systems, just like older Visual Basic stuff.

>Read the stuff about 'slope' in the SuperPatch docs.
>Pretty heavy; it may do everything I need. So when
>does this great stuff get merged into the offical POV?

I don't know which parts will be added, but a bunch of the
stuff in the superpatch will make it into version 3.5.