POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray modification question : Re: POV-Ray modification question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray modification question
From: Ray Gardener
Date: 6 Apr 1999 21:09:32
Message: <370aa23c.0@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker wrote in message <370a4845.0@news.povray.org>...
>On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 10:16:44 -0700, Ray Gardener <ray### [at] daylongraphicscom>
wrote:

>>Why not just add a simple C compiler to
>>POV's parser? The technology's been
>>around for eons.
>
>What would it compile to?  Bytecode?  Machine language?  If to machine
>language, you'll need some kind of loader to get the code in a place where
>it's executable, and... [snip]

Agreed, supporting all those CPUs is bothersome. But
gcc does it, the templates are mature, and we can tweak
for MMX, 3DNow and the PPC's multiply+add and the like. Besides,
it's not like there are new instruction sets coming out every week.
Maybe we can borrow gcc's code here -- it's all open source, right?
As for the loader, just compile down into a temp DLL (if on Windows)
and then use LoadLibrary() to run it.

As for Java, Perl, and any other interpretation system:
I have to pass. No interpreter is fast enough; I need
every last machine cycle available, when you consider that
the code may need to be called for every pixel on the
rendered image.

Read the stuff about 'slope' in the SuperPatch docs.
Pretty heavy; it may do everything I need. So when
does this great stuff get merged into the offical POV?

Ray