POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Inside Joke? : Re: Inside Joke? Server Time
4 Oct 2024 17:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inside Joke?
From: Axel Hecht
Date: 10 Apr 1999 06:17:27
Message: <370F1777.F344A928@numerik.uni-kiel.de>
Spider wrote:

> hehe, I actually find it lacking some in the layout parts. Can't understand why
> I can't get bold text in it..
>
> Actually, I've made transit to linux now, and I've found I miss a few things.
>
> 1) Knowledge enough to customize <insert windowmanager here>
For a graphics wizard the choice of windowmanager is crucial. Bad
enough, the really colorful ones are still moving targets. I guess you
should look at
http://www.enlightenment.org  for the dark side of life and
http://www.windowmaker.org  for a rather fancy default styling
But be assured, as soon as you go this way, you'll loose any connection
to reality (even the virtual one, which would be very bad for us here)
and your PCs performance is about to drop as well. Those fancy things
MUST hog.
> 2) textpad(http://www.textpad.com). Can't beat it.
Unix folks boot Emacs. Those that don't boot emacs, use XEmacs :-) (I
do). SysAdmins use vi. Next to what you say may be nedit. It's the
favorite of my pal here. Should be on most distributions, I guess.

> 3) A good X IRC client(I'm sure they exist)
Well, here we go: good is a very moving target. I saw alot of critics
about the various, none satisfies both users and purists. But there are
at least three major areas:
KDE/QT: has several, no idea; GNOME/GTK: same; NONE: try zircon.

> 4) textpad... No, I've taken that.. My Mail files.
> 5) The speed of my mouse. (unaccelerated but fast... strange I can't find a
> setting for it)
man  XF86Config and a lot of luck, I guess.
> well then, so little to make me happy.
> Actually, the speed of linux feels great.. I feel I get more from the system now
> than from windoze..
And some things less (BSOD :-))
<...>
> --
> //Spider
>         [ spi### [at] bahnhofse ]-[ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]
> What I can do and what I could do, I just don't know anymore
>                 "Marian"
>         By: "Sisters Of Mercy"

Welcome home

Axel