POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Patent Pending : Patent Pending Server Time
4 Oct 2024 07:14:11 EDT (-0400)
  Patent Pending
From: Ken
Date: 9 Apr 1999 06:06:41
Message: <370DC1E6.5942494@pacbell.net>
Greetings Pov People,

 The title of this message comes from an off had comment I made
yesterday in .general. I mentioned if I ever figured out a way
to get an image map like a stained glass window to interact with
media I would patent the process. Wouldn't you know it I achieved
that goal this evening. It needs refinement but the process works
as can be seen in the very preliminary example.

  You should be able to see a light atmospheric haze and the image
you see is actually projected from off the screen to the right
across to the opposite wall and steps area. As this took close to
8 hrs. to render I am unlikely to pursue this particular image any
further. It was mostly a proof of concept image and I am more than
willing to share my work to date with anyone interested in how the
process works.

  You will see at about one third the way down the image a streak
or difference in appearance. This was caused by me from stopping
the render at that point. I opened the file in the photon patch
and choose the continue rendering function to compare the behaviour
between the two versions. Nathan has added a true parallel ray
function to the cylinder light source which is what I was using
behind the image map. It is obvious that it has a very different
effect on the way it interacts with scattering media. I stopped it
rather quickly after seeing how it looked and finished the render
in the official build of Pov 3.1. For the amount of time spent
rendering it was not worth it to start over to remove it plus I
want Nathan to see the difference as well.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message