POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux(general quiz) : Re: Linux(general quiz) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux(general quiz)
From: Luis M  Ibarra
Date: 8 Apr 1999 19:55:10
Message: <370D32B5.D84A103C@jano.estadistica.unam.mx>
Spider wrote:
> I know I _should_ learn emacs, but...........

Learn Emacs, it'll pay back soon.

Start at the emacs tutorial (CTRL-H then t), after that  browse a little
over the emacs manual at the info system (CTRL-h then i), there are the
manuals for must of the stuff you installed. Use the pov-mode.el and
you'll have color syntax highlithing, word completition, automatic
indenting, etc...

If Emacs seems too complex, you may like jed (It should be easy to write
a povray editing mode [ala pov-mode.el] for jed).

You won't like vi, but it's a wonderfull little editor for a
fast-a-couple-of-corrections edit session. Coming from the MS-world
you'll find my find my sugestions awkard, but take at least a glimpse
over the vi, ed and sed manual pages.

Anyway, be sure to learn at least the basics of "Regular Expresions" (at
the ed manual page [man ed]), they are *SO* powerfull.

There are a lot of editors for unix (text and X), check
http://freshmeat.net/ , go to the appindex, X, editors. Freshmeat it's a
very good source of... erh... fresh meat... poing*, I mean of new
versions of free software packages.

Be sure to go to http://emacs.org/ before choosing another editor :).