POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV 4 ideology proposal : Re: POV 4 ideology proposal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 4 ideology proposal
From: Anthony Bennett
Date: 8 Apr 1999 17:18:14
Message: <370CEC08.489E22DF@panama.phoenix.net>
> OO scripting is what I would like to see as well. Like this:
>
> // This is a "class"
> #declare MySphere=sphere{
>   <0,0,0>, 0.5
>   pigment{Red}
>   attribute rot_direction
>   attribute rot_speed
>   // This is a "method"
>   #macro Rotate()
>     rotate rot_direction*rot_speed
>   #end
> }
>
> // An instance (like before)
> object{
>   MySphere
> }
>
> // Accessing the attributes
> #declare MySphere.position=<3,1,5>;
> #declare MySphere.size=MySphere.size+0.3;
> #declare MySphere.pigment=pigment{rgb <0,0,1>}
> #declare MySphere.rot_direction=<0,0,1>;
> #declare MySphere.rot_speed=30;
>
> // Calling of a method
> MySphere.Rotate()

If this is what OO scripting looks like, then YUCK! I like POV script as it
is. Sure, a few extras (SuperPatch stuff) would be nice. But, not rewriting
the whole thing. Also, that idea of putting all the maps in a single group is
good. What would that command look like?

Also, about that man's ideas: they're sorta good. I don't like the idea of 0
backward-compatibility. That sucks. I really did not understand what he
wanted to do with stacks. He really lost me on that point. If you want to
change the source-code of POV to make it _faster_, that's fine by me, but
please don't change what it IS. I don't really want to change it to something
so different. One thing that would be nice, someday in the future would be
that displacement map thing, but until then, I'm happy (when it comes I'll be
really happy).

What you should do is speed it up with assembly. I spoke with a fellow and he
factored in an at least 10% speed increase. Can you imagine 10%? I mean what
would mean you could finish rendering that much faster. Think like this: 24 h
render = 21 1/2 h render. I don't know about you, but those hours are
appreciated where I come from. Maybe you could toss in that scanline render
thing like in 3DS Max, and only use raytracing on reflective surfaces. Or
maybe I'm wrong. I just write as the ideas come. =)