POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Announce: Update to Renderer Plugin : Re: Announce: Update to Renderer Plugin Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announce: Update to Renderer Plugin
From: Alexander Enzmann
Date: 7 Apr 1999 11:14:02
Message: <370B6873.D4398CF5@mitre.org>
Mathias Bachmann wrote:

> Thanks for the animation-support!
> But for now, I don't get it to work on my NT-Machine:
> I get that silly "AnimPlugin couldn't be loaded, make sure any (blabla)" -
> message.
>
> I've tried the cleanest solution - to put both the MFC42.dll and the
> MSVCRT.dll in Windows/System32 (where the former versions of these DLLs
> reside on my machine), but NT refuses to overwrite them : "these dlls are in
> use by windows" or similar.

Seems strange that both MSVCRT.DLL and MFC42.DLL are in use even right
after you boot.  I'm sure there is a way to get around it with a proper
sort of install program, but I don't know how to write one.

However, the rules for windows say that the locations searched for a DLL
are:
   - The directory where the executable module for the current process
is located.
   - The current directory.
   - The Windows system directory
   - The Windows directory
   - The directories listed in the PATH environment variable.

(This is from MSDN, so it is probably right.)

Which means that putting them into the Moray main directory ought to
work...

> then I've added both the MFC42.dll and the MSVCRT.dll in the MORAY and in
> the plugins dir, but it doesnt help.

Could you list exactly what dll's are in your main Moray directory?

> probably Windows always trys to use the already loaded versions of the dlls
> in memory. I can't come around this. Is there anywhere an installer for
> these .dlls?

Nope, Windows will happily load several different versions of a DLL,
based on just how you ask for it.

> any sugestions?

I'd like to figure out just why you can't get them to run.

As an initial step, would you be willing to try a version of the plugins
that doesn't use MFC42.DLL or MSVCRT.DLL?  They are a bit larger, but
without the dependencies, they may work properly with Moray on your
system.

Xander