POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray modification question : Re: POV-Ray modification question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray modification question
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 7 Apr 1999 01:44:28
Message: <370AE1F3.3DC4D6A3@Kopp.com>
Ray Gardener wrote:

> Agreed, supporting all those CPUs is bothersome. But
> gcc does it, the templates are mature, and we can tweak

Does gcc support EVERY cpu?  The core of POV is supposted to be completely
platform independent (only the interface parts need to be changed to port
it to another system).  If someone invents a new CPU next week and they
make an ANSI C compiler for it, we could have a command-line version of
POV running on it in very little time.

Therefore any bytecode interpreter that is part of the core must also be
platform independent... JIT compilers could be extra for each system...
but the functionality would still exist for EVERY system.

-Nathan