POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : question for you photon fans... : Re: question for you photon fans... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 06:15:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: question for you photon fans...
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 7 Apr 1999 01:35:09
Message: <370AE02D.49A240F@aol.com>
I just tossed in 'quanta' as a quick "what comes to mind" thing for me.
I later looked it up to be sure I was thinking right and it does seem to
apply (or could possibly anyhow). Quanta is particle energy as in
photons, ions, etc. (as I see it) and so was thinking of this in terms
of effective area in the case of photon map density. Not exactly
quantity per se, just a "measure" or sort of intensity within a volume.
Same could be said if 'spread' were used I believe, since it is the
concentration which counts.
Thinking along the lines of light I would probably say 'receptor',
'volume', 'quanta' instead of 'gather', 'radius', 'density'.
I would have said retina, as in the eye light-receiving surface, in
place of receptor (nerve terminal for recieving/sending) but it doesn't
sound right to me.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe