POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : ICONIC-SWEEP : Re: ICONIC-SWEEP Server Time
4 Oct 2024 09:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ICONIC-SWEEP
From: Ken
Date: 6 Apr 1999 21:24:56
Message: <370AA4A8.BFBE8C97@pacbell.net>
Storm Samurai wrote:

> WHAT is IT? HOW do I USE IT? WHERE DO I USE IT? WHEN do I USE IT? AND
> whats THE SYNTAX?
>
>                                         TNX to anyone who can help me.

The Conic sweep ( no "I") is in the documentation under prisms.

Conic Sweeps And The Tapering Effect

  In our original prism, the keyword linear_sweep is actually optional. This is
the default sweep assumed for a prism if no type of sweep is specified. But there
is another, extremely useful kind of sweep: the conic sweep. The basic idea is
like the original prism, except that while we are sweeping the shape from the
first height through the second height, we are constantly expanding it from a
single point until, at the second height, the shape has expanded to the original
points we made it from. To give a small idea of what such effects are good for,
we replace our existing prism with this (see file prismdm4.pov):

  prism {
    conic_sweep
    linear_spline
    0, // height 1
    1, // height 2
    5, // the number of points making up the shape...
    rotate <180, 0, 0>
    translate <0, 1, 0>
    scale <1, 4, 1>
    pigment { gradient y scale .2 }