POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A sword (Yes, another) : Re: A sword (Yes, another) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 09:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A sword (Yes, another)
From: Ken
Date: 6 Apr 1999 07:04:01
Message: <3709DAD1.75FFB912@pacbell.net>
Gail Shaw wrote:

> A bit late for the sword of the week award, but this is
> the result of the weekend's work.
>
> Blade done in sPatch, guard is the intersection of a
> cylinder and a heightfield and the hilt is CSG of
> 3 cylinders and 6 boxes.
>
> Gail
> --
> * gsh### [at] monotixcoza              * ERROR: COFFEE.COM not found  *
> * http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/ * Insert cup and press any key *
>    My Software never has bugs, It just develops random features
>
>  [Image]

It has a wicked look to it. The metallic finish is off a little but one
could let that go if they were on the wrong end of that point. Seriously
though it is a little too white and could use a little more of a silver
glint to it.
 Personally I would bring the final curve at the tip up a little more
abruptly than it currently is and counter sharpen the top of the blade
for about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch from the tip back towards the hilt.
See my poor diagram for an example.
 This will give the blade two cutting edges at the tip for extra
penetrating power plus it adds structural strength to the tip region.
It also keeps the point from abruptly ending at a flat squared surface
which puts to much reliance on a thin unsupported edge. The counter
bevel relieves this by creating "V" shapes  back to back forming a
diamond shape which is stronger than a pyramid or 3 point wedge shape.
  Once initial penetration of the victim is achieved the single cutting
edge can finish without the aid of the four surface point. It is a common
arrangement with long knives and fine blades such as this and is hardly
noticeable from a distance. It is quite noticeable without it. It looks
nicely wicked as is but the shape of the tip offers poor utility and would
break easily if used for anything more the ceremonial dress or slicing
sausage and bread for dinner. If I had a scanner I would scan in some
images from a sworders catalogue I have here that shows the common blade
shapes and points for swords of this type. Maybe in a couple of months
I'll have one on line (sigh).

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net