POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray modification question : Re: POV-Ray modification question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray modification question
From: Ken
Date: 5 Apr 1999 23:37:32
Message: <37097246.CEB5F0E3@pacbell.net>
Ray Gardener wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been hacking Windows POV-Ray 3.x to support
> procedural texturing (to make heightfields
> render terrain better). What I'd like
> to know is, has anyone done this or is
> already doing it? I'd just like to avoid
> duplication of effort.
>
> The procedural textures would be called
> via a DLL system. Not binary portable,
> I know, but I'm willing to live with it
> to get better terrain.
>
> I realize that POV's texturing features
> are already very good, but I'm after
> more advanced stuff that really insists
> upon the procedural route.
>
> Thanks,
> Ray

  The photon patch by Nathan Kopp has a uv texturing scheme that is showing
some serious promise. You seem to have pretty good control of what is
happening where and at what level in Leveller and the two might find some
sort of harmonious exsistance.

Take a look at Nathan's Photon Patch page at:

http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm

 I'm not sure what the exact wording is for the proceedure but the super patch
maintained by Ron Parker has a slope dependent texture routine that I have
seen used with HF's ( ISO surfaces ?). It is very promising. The couple of
images I have seen where it was used with HF's shows the limitations with the
official build and the power it adds to texturing uneven surfaces like terrain.
Ron can tell you more about it's capabilities than I can.

  You can also download the Current docs for the Super Patch at twysted.net
in the patch station as well as downloading the most recent build.

 You might also look at R. Suzuki's page. He just upgraded his official version
of the IsoSurface patched version of Pov and is certainly one of the most informed
on the subject. He made an announcement this week in this group and you can find
a link to his page along with his meassage.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net