POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : question for you photon fans... : Re: question for you photon fans... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 06:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: question for you photon fans...
From: Ken
Date: 5 Apr 1999 19:02:28
Message: <370931CC.DE16DE3A@pacbell.net>
Nathan Kopp wrote:

> That is a possibility, but if I give you a density of .02, you could guess
> that a good gather radius would be around 0.1, but if I give you a density
> of 2500, what would your initial guess for gather radius be?  I guess you
> could use 1/sqrt(2500)*5 ... and maybe that would be OK... would it be too
> confusing, or more clear that what I have now?
>
> Comments?
>
> -Nathan

  For the math illiterate or math lazy which ever the case may be, the lowest
amount of math intensive formulas needed to operate a function, increases the
amount of potential people that stand a chance of successfully using it.

  I vote for a symbolic language and provide the formulas for the whiz kids
who are into the heavier math driven end of the operation. To go with the
last only would run the risk of occluding some users who might otherwise
use it with ease were it not for a lack of a formal math education.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net